Position – Operations Assistant
Reports to – Manager of Operations
Position Type: Full-time
We are looking for an enthusiastic, outgoing, friendly and creative Operations Assistant who will thrive on providing sensational customer service and quality experiences for our Guests. The selected individual will be responsible for producing the highest quality videos and photos of our guests and dolphins in our Productions Department (photo and video) or in our Guest Services/Gift Shop Department. This individual will be responsible for creating a welcoming atmosphere for our guests in a fun, outdoor environment, while assisting in the pre and post dolphin experience. The successful applicant must be able to work any day of the week, weekends and public holidays. Some experience working with photo equipment, cameras, video, computers and a basic understanding of cashiering is preferred. Cross-training and scheduling in other departments will be an integral part of this position. Flexibility with daily assignments and scheduling is required.
Dolphin Quest Hawaii is located at the beautiful Hilton Waikoloa Village.
Typical Responsibilities for all Crew Members
- Share knowledge of Dolphin Quest, its history, the habitat and the dolphins.
- Actively pursue Quest Engagement to cultivate Guests’ interest in dolphins and Dolphin Quest programs.
- Assist with host/hostess duties as needed.
- Work in a fast paced environment with the ability to multitask and maintain composure and professionalism in high pressure situations.
- Creatively generate new ideas and working solutions.
- Embrace the Dolphin Quest “open door” policy where Crew Members are free to express their concerns and feelings without fear of retribution or ill will.
- Participate in department meetings.
- Maintain open and positive relations with all Dolphin Quest locations and Crew Members.
- Develop and maintain proper interdepartmental integration locally and globally.
- Maintain regular communication with assigned teams regarding all relevant projects.
- Promote quality service among Crew by acting as a positive role model.
- Maintain safe working conditions for Crew Members and Guests, and ensure safety concerns are reported and resolved quickly.
- Uphold branding and logo usage guidelines and standards as outlined in Crew Member Handbook.
- Ensure we “walk the talk” by acting environmentally responsible in recycling, conserving energy and using environmentally friendly products when feasible.
- Support community involvement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position will require cross-training in multiple departments. The responsibilities listed below are by department function and the selected candidate will be required to perform some or all of these job duties as assigned:
- Provide our Guests with Sensational Customer Services including all aspects of retail merchandising and sales, productions, and reservations.
- Be personally available to Guests to communicate and identify their needs and address their questions or concerns.
- Be responsible for greeting and checking in guests and providing sensational service during their interactions.
- Answer phones and manage voice mail system following protocols outlined in Crew Member Handbook.
- Process walk-up and phone reservations through the computer reservations system.
- Share relevant information with Guests about Dolphin Quest programs and products.
- Effectively and accurately handle and process all financial transactions throughout the day.
- Answer all calls and inquiries and respond or direct to appropriate Crew Member or department as necessary including taking and relaying messages effectively.
- Assist with maintaining the 5 star appearance of our Dolphin Quest facility by keeping up with retail merchandising to create an attractive display of our products, cleaning work areas, picking up any out of place items, restocking and reorganizing work areas for maximum efficiency
- Assist Guests with life jacket fittings and program preparation
- Actively work to effectively merchandise and promote retail sales
- Assist with check-in, tagging, organizing and display of merchandise orders
- Clean and reorganize and stock all retail areas as needed to maximize efficiency and merchandising appeal
- Capture high quality, customized photographs and video for Dolphin Quest Guests during their encounters according to Dolphin Quest criteria.
- Promote onsite and online photo and sales.
- Consult and assist Guests with photo selection.
- Produce all photo and video orders in a timely manner
- Coordinate and maintain daily photo productions process.
- Supply weekly selection of superior photos to corporate offices for Dolphin Quest branding and marketing opportunities.
- Maintain, clean and prepare photography cameras, flashes and photography and video equipment.
- Restock and reorganize work areas for maximum efficiency.
- Print photos, make photo flash drives and produce DVDs.
- Assist with the facilitation of Education programs as needed.
- Feed, care for and train our family of multispecies as appropriate.
- Maintain accurate daily animal records including the recording and reporting of the Daily Dolphin Assessment.
- Complete daily husbandry procedures according to protocols.
- Administer daily vitamins and prescribed medications approved by management.
- Prepare and administer animal diets and ensure fish used for the animals’ diets are of the highest quality.
- Develop animal training skills through opportunities assigned by management.
- Identify animal enrichment needs, appropriate uses and schedules, and implement without guidance.
- Assist with collection of medical samples.
- Understand the use of operant conditioning and positive reinforcement schedules with the ability to demonstrate use of these skills.
- Assist with Training Programs as needed.
- Manage multiple animals as assigned.
- Manage assigned projects relating to intermediate job knowledge (enrichment programs, etc.).
- Participate in Animal sessions as requested and develops skills for proper maintenance of animal behavior.
- Assist with multispecies feeds, training, diet prep, habitat, maintenance and record keeping.
- Assist with maintaining our professional image by keeping all workplace environments clean, organized and inviting.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (Training) or related training and/or experience necessary to meet the qualifications listed below.
- Ability to work varied schedules, weekends and holidays required.
- Japanese speaking preferred.
- Excellent customer service experience.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a busy environment.
- Ability to work cash register and cameras.
- Experience with cash handling.
- Excellent verbal and written communications.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to adjust to changing work priorities.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Work effectively with both children and adults.
- Creativity to generate new ideas and working solutions.
- For Training Department:
- Demonstration of ability to proficiently work in water environment: swimming, snorkeling, SCUBA and CPR Certification.
- Interactive training skills and Open Ocean training skills preferred.
- Laboratory technician skills preferred.
This position requires that you have a current legal right to work in the United States.
- Frequent exposure to fairly predictable and controllable hazards associated with having close contact with marine animals.
- Work outdoors in uneven terrain with constant exposure to sun, wind and outdoor elements.
- Move about on slippery surfaces.
- Handle hazardous materials.
- Work in cramped or confined spaces.
- Daily uniform includes wetsuit wear and bathing suit wear.
- On-the-job duties require long periods of time in salt-water, actively swimming, diving and working in ocean water elements.
- Daily lifting abilities required from light lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Daily operations require being mobile, standing, bending, stooping, crouching and squatting.
- This job entails repeated entry and exit into lagoon area with the need to hoist self out of the lagoon.